Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

School History

Cassidy Elementary School was built in 1935 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), on land, which once belonged to Kentucky statesman, Henry Clay. The school was named for M.A. Cassidy, who served as Superintendent of the Lexington City Schools and the Fayette County Schools from 1885 to 1928 and was among the most prominent educators in the state. Additions to the school were built in 1956 and again in 1987 and 2010. 

Cassidy 1958

Cassidy 1958

Cassidy's Golden Deeds Book

Golden Deeds

Time Capsule

Time Capsule

Cassidy's Time Capsule was created in 2010 and will be opened in 2035. It is on display in the Cassidy library. 

Cassidy's Chandelier

Chandelier

It is a Cassidy tradition to gather under the Cassidy Chandelier for staff to share good news! Our staff has had many exciting announcements over the years, including engagements, babies, grandbabies, and retirements. "Chandelier Meetings" are called in the morning, right before students come into the building! 

To view the chandelier, turn right from the front office and you will see it hanging in the old entryway foyer. This is also the location of Cassidy's Hall of Fame. 

M.A. Cassidy

A headshot of former Lexington Superintendent, M.A. Cassidy